It’s December 1st and typically I’m riding the euphoria of NaNo like it’s some sort of trusty steed (this analogy only works if you’ve never heard the bruised ***** story). This year, I’m happy for a victory, but much more subdued. This might be the hardest NaNo on record for me, but I learned a few things:
1. Obligations – As much as I tried to avoid outside events, some things just couldn’t be avoided. How do you tell a friend “Sorry, can’t come to your wedding? Word count is a little slim this week. Think you could get married sometime NEXT month?”
2. NaNo is Not for the Weak – I knew this. It seems manageable when you think of it in tiny 1,667 blocks, but it can crush you. The fact that I’ve done it before does not guarantee I can do it again, and it would behoove me to remember that.
3. Editing Something Else Actually Works! – Me + Editing = Spastic Sasha. Me + Editing (something else) + Writing Something New = Less Spastic Sasha with nice results. This was an experiment that paid off. I’ll be trying it again next month to see if it was a fluke
4. The Full MS at 50 eludes yet again me – I hit 50K, but it’s still not a completed story. Next year the plan is to have a full detailed outline broken down by chapters.
5. Finishing Early Can’t be Pants’ed – This is actually spin off from 4. Maybe it can be done by others, but not by me. I learned some cool things about my characters along the way (hey, look who has a surprise sibling!) but too many tangents slowed things waaaaay down. I finished last night with 3 hrs to spare.
6. 0 to 60 still doesn’t work – Yes, I did just use a car analogy. In terms of writing, I’m like the 40 year old who hasn’t exercised since high school who decides he’s going to run a marathon by the end of the month. I tend to get these wild ideas and just leap for them. The blogging imploded. Big Time. Better luck next time gadget.
7. I still love NaNo – My brain hurts, I’d like to sleep for the next 37hrs straight, and I ate so much take out that I’m actually hungry for plain old lettuce. But I still loved the experience and plan to do it again next year. Guess I’m still a glutton for punishment.
NaNo Count: 50,085/50,000
Total Count: 83,401/310,000